Public Hearing Procedures
1. The applicant or his representative will make his formal presentation to the board stating his specific hardship and precisely why this merits a variance from the Zoning Regulations of the Town of Watertown.
2. All comments, discussions, and observations shall be made through the Chair after proper recognition by the Chairman. This is necessary to ensure that only one person at a time speaks on any issue, thus making it easier for everyone to understand, and for clearer legal transcription.
3. All persons addressing the Commission shall begin by first clearly stating their name and address for the record. If necessary, the person may be asked to spell his or her name for the record.
4. Following the presentation of the application, the Zoning Board of Appeals will ask specific questions of the applicant.
5. After the Board has asked its questions of the applicant, I shall then allow members of the public who wishes to speak either in favor of this application or against it to address the Board.
6. I shall then allow the applicant to respond to the comments of the members of the general public.
7. I shall then allow any members of the general public who wish to present any additional information or clarifying discussion to do so.
8. I shall then provide an opportunity for the applicant to respond to these additional remarks is he or his representative so wishes.
9. The Zoning Board of Appeals has thirty-five (35) days from the date the Public Hearing commences to complete the Public Hearing. The Board may ask the applicant for a thirty-five (35) day extension of the Public Hearing period if the Commission requires any additional information or wishes to schedule a site walk to observe the situation for themselves.
10. The Zoning Board of Appeals has sixty-five (65) days from the date when the Public Hearing is closed to render its decision. The Board may or may not make its decision tonight at its Regular Meeting following the Public Hearing.
11. You may stay for the Regular Meeting if you wish or you may leave at the end of the Public Hearing and contact the Zoning Office the following morning to determine the status of your application.