Transfer Station

map icon
89 Old Baird Road
Watertown, CT 06795
phone icon
Ph: 860.945.5240
clock icon
Thursdays 7:00 am – 3:00 pm 
Saturdays  7:00 am – 1:00 pm

Hours / FAQs

Contact Information

Transfer Station Operator:
Mike Caisse

September 1 – May 30 – Regular Hours

            Thursday 8 A.M. – 4 P.M.

            Saturday 8 A.M. – 2 P.M.

June 1 – August 30 – Summer Hours

          Thursday 7 A.M. – 3 P.M.

            Saturday 7 A.M. – 1 P.M. 

Transfer Station FAQ's

Is there a cost for the Transfer Station permit?
Annual permits are $20 with proof of residency.
Can I pay for the permit at the Transfer Station?
Yes, and also at the Public Works office (61 Echo Lake Road, Watertown).
What forms of payment are accepted?
Credit card, cash or check (made payable to the Town of Watertown)
Does my Transfer Station permit expire?
Permits are valid for the calendar year (regardless of the month that they are purchased). Permits expire December 1st. 
Is there a list of acceptable items that can be taken to the Transfer Station?
See the fee schedule for a list of accepted items. 
Are there any items that are free to bring to the Transfer Station?

The Transfer Station takes the following items at NO CHARGE, and Residents DO NOT NEED AN ANNUAL PERMIT:

  • Box Springs & Mattresses (in acceptable condition)                         
  • Paint
  • Computer Monitors                                                                            
  • Printers
  • Computer Hard Drives                                                                      
  • Televisions
  • Mercury and Mercury Thermometers                                                
  • Textiles (clothing, shoes, belts, cloth, etc.)  

The Transfer Station takes the following items at NO CHARGE, but Residents MUST PURCHASE AN ANNUAL PERMIT - $20.00 (Proof of Residency Required):

  • Antifreeze                                                                                          
  • Glass Containers                    
  • Propane Tanks (20-30 lb. only)
  • Car Batteries                                                                                      
  • Grass Clippings                      
  • Metal (small, light, non-electrical
  • Cardboard                                                                                          
  • Oil items with no oil, fuel, or Freon)                                                      
  • Earth Products (Dirt, Bricks, Rocks)                                                 
  • Paper                                      
  • Metal Containers
  • Electronics (other than those listed above)                                        
  • Plastic Containers                  
  • Fluorescent Bulbs                                                                              
  • Leaves, Wood Chips
Can I bring household hazardous waste to the Transfer Station?
No. However, the Town, being a part of the Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (COG) sponsors drop-off days at various locations in the district for these types of items at no charge to the resident. You only need to provide proof of residency, usually your driver’s license.

Drop off dates and times and a list of acceptable/non-acceptable items will be listed on the website and in the local paper.
Can I bring electronics to the Transfer Station?

The Transfer Station accepts computers, computer monitors, printers, and televisions generated from households. Residents may drop off up to seven devices at a time with proof of residency, Transfer Station permits are not required to use the facility for electronics recycling.

With identity theft a growing problem, you may have some reservations about donating or recycling your computer. While legitimate computer recyclers take measures to secure and erase the data on the computers they resell or recycle, you may take greater comfort in erasing the data before you drop it off.

In accordance with state law, electronic devices from commercial and industrial sources are not covered under the program. 


Why do I have to pay for brush?
You pay for brush to defray the cost of grinding the brush. The D.E.P. does not allow us to burn it anymore.
The wood chips from the grinding are available to residents at no cost.
Can I take my household garbage to the Transfer Station and how much does it cost?
Yes, the fee schedule is here.
Why doesn't the Town have curbside pickup for larger items like couches, stoves, refrigerator's etc?
The Town Highway Department does not have enough staff or time for this large cleanup, and it would be very costly to pay an independent hauler to do it.
Do the Transfer Station fees cover all the costs for operating the facility?
No, the operation is subsidized by the Town.
Leaf Disposal

The Transfer Station accepts leaves as long as they are not from a commercial firm.

There is no fee for this service. The leaves should be transported to the transfer station and then deposited in the designated piles.

All paper and plastic bags or other containers should be removed from the transfer station upon leaf disposal.  The leaves will eventually be processed and turned into loam for use in the town. 

Grass Clippings
Authorized permit holders may bring grass clippings to the facility at no charge.  
Plastic bags, paper bags or containers may not be left in pile and must be properly disposed of by resident.

Free mulch is available at the Transfer Station with a valid permit.